old music

Most of the music I've gotten with the store credit from my big unloading (net decrease so far: 140 cds!) was originally released prior to 2007.

From 2006, two albums that would have placed very highly on my list of last year's favorite music:

Broadcast - The Future Crayon
Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings the Flood

While we're here, these are four more from 2006. I got them earlier this year, before the big unloading; three of them might have rated highly on last year's list, one of them unquestionably would have:

Circle - Miljard
Grizzly Bear - Yellow House
Juana Molina - Son (this is a gorgeous album; I cannot praise it highly enough)
Pere Ubu - Why I Hate Women (extremely ill-titled, but dark, menacing music; see comments here for some discussion and related links)

The rest has been reissues and older stuff:

Boredoms - Super Roots 5 & Super Roots 6 (I was really looking forward to these being available at affordable prices--back in the day, I paid a lot for Super Roots 7 & Super Roots 8, not to mention Rebore Vol. 0 and Seadrum/House of Sun--but having listened to these two once each, I'm not sure I really needed them all that much. These may come to qualify as relapses from the overall attitude governing the grand reduction in the amount of music I own.)

The Byrds - Fifth Dimension & The Notorious Byrd Brothers (I blame this guy)

Ted Leo & the Pharmacists - Hearts of Oak (excellent indie rock)

Dolly Parton - My Tennessee Mountain Home (this was mostly for Aimée, but I like it too; released in 1973, it was already Dolly's 23rd album!)

Pere Ubu - Cloudland (finally! also, I was inspired by the comments here to listen to its follow-up Worlds In Collision several times over the weekend, and Scraps was right: it's a good one)

Max Roach - Percussion Bitter Sweet (I've been meaning to get more of Roach's music; this one has Eric Dolphy on it. I just got it yesterday, and haven't yet listened to it)

Stephen Stills - Manassas (I may have mentioned this one)

Young Marble Giants - Colossal Youth & Collected Works (affordable 3-cd set of, I believe, all of the band's music; so far, I've only listened to Colossal Youth, from 1980, and Simon Reynolds is right: it's pretty much perfect)